Monday, May 14, 2007

A Needed Affirmation

I've been a vendor at three shows so far this month, with one more to go at the end of the month! That's the most I've done so far in one month. The first two were what I'd call small, less than twenty vendors and the last one was medium sized. The first two shows I sold a few things and made my fees and expenses back, but not much more. It would be ok if I was just trying to pursue my jewelry making as a hobby, but since I'm trying to make a career out of it, the shows were dismal. I would be eating spaghetti w/ no meat every night if that's how it went at all my shows!! I sure hope the next show isn't dismal too!!!

The show last weekend was different story! Thank goodness!! It was another show at a church, but it had a track record of 11 successful years behind it...not to mention the fact that a friend of mine had done it for several years and said it was a good show. Well, my friend was absolutely right!! I was busy pretty much nonstop for the first few hrs. I even sold two necklaces where I normaly might sell only one! The sales were also multiple pieces bought by each customer, not just a single pair every time. Even with a 15% donation to the church's youth group, I had my best show ever! Not only that, a couple of women, who organize another event the third week of every November, were there and asked if I'd like to participate in their show. I of course said yes, especially since my friend and some customers had mentioned it to me and said that show was very, very busy and very, very packed. They are supposedly very selective about who they let in the show, so I felt great that they asked and I now have a show scheduled for November!

I guess this last church craft fair showed me that I do have real earning potential with my jewelry. It was an affirmation that I am doing the right thing by trying to pursue my dreams. I just have to find the right shows to attend where my art will be appreciated and that of course is the proverbial 'rub'! I know I'm just starting out so I think I've done a good job so far, but I want to do better! Much better!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.