Is there such a thing as buddhism 'lite'? I don't want to offend anyone, so please let me know if I've made such a gaffe. To tell you the truth, I know barely anything about Buddhism. The reason I ask is that a dear friend of mine, (*shameless plug* Please visit her site for more!) whose blog address is: womanwarrior007.blogspot.com, shared a quote from a book the Dalai Lama wrote. Here it is:
"If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry."
What do you think about it? My friend sent it to me because of difficulties I have been having with my hubby and my recent move. I've been stressed because of money and all things related. I am trying to be supportive of my hubby, but I really did not want to move away from 'home'. This quote she sent is now my personal goal. I need to learn to examine situations that normally cause stress (to me) and decide if anything can be done. Then I have my answer and don't need to worry. It's going to be alot easier said than done since I have 41 years of worry behind me! Old habits die hard! I will also try to read something from the Dalai Lama. At worst, I won't like or agree with any other philosophies, perhaps, I will find parts I like and others I dislike, or at best, I will be able to find more solace and peace in my life...catharsis...sweet catharsis. It's what I need! I will at least do some research and thinking on it.
I also wonder if someone who is Buddhist practices all the tenets, and agrees w/ all philosophies or beliefs set forth? Or do you pick and choose? Sort of a 'lighter version' if you will. I know that reincarnation is a belief, but I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. So that would be a hard thing to believe for me. But realize I need to keep an open mind and maybe, just maybe there's enough room for both Buddhism and my old religious beliefs to coexist. I guess we'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment