Monday, February 26, 2007

A New "Job": Eating for free!

Well, today has been interesting. I ate for free! I love the idea! And, how did I accomplish this feat? I became a mystery shopper (ooh-aah) and today was my first 'shop'. Of course I didn't really eat for free if you count the time and gas it took to get to the restaurant, and the time it took to fill out a freakin' 4 page long survey about the experience...I probably got paid less than minimum...but the food was covered! Well...sort of...I get reimbursed after I fill out the 'shop' survey...delayed gratification, I guess you could call it. :')

I've always wondered how mystery shopping works and now I know! Anyone who's new starts off w/ shops that don't pay much and a neutral shopper rating. The more shops completed satisfactorily, the more ratings...hopefully good ones...you are given. As your rating moves up, the opportunity for 'better' shops gets greater. Also, you have to apply for individual shops...they can be for all sorts of things, not just food. Then you are selected to do the shop...or not. Then there's all sorts of guidelines you need to familiarize yourself with once you get the shop. Luckily, these companies operate in the 21st century and most of this is done online! Then you can preview the actual survey you'll be filling out. Then you do the shop, then fill out the survey w/in 24 hrs. And I will say that it was definitely a test of my powers of observation and I definitely have to improve my memory! They get pretty in depth about employees, cleanliness, time everything took, etc.

I am looking forward to doing more mystery shopping and getting those 'better' jobs someday. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my (almost) free food!!

No comments: